Sunday 13 March 2016

Renovation project - Installing french windows

Renovation project - Installing french windows

John has been working on the bathroom for the past few days and it is really taking shape, we no longer have an open plan toilet and all the walls are in place.

The bath is fitted as is the sink unit.

We need to replace the window before we can tile the room and fit the shower.

The telephone call arrived regarding the delivery of the windows, and I am so impressed with myself, I answered and arranged delivery all in French, I am still paranoid about my level of spoken French, but John can't understand why, he keeps telling me I have no problem, and actually I don't, I'm not fluent, but if people speak slowly, I don't have a problem.

I can go to the Mairie and discuss our plans, I can answer the phone, I can make the appointments necessary and do most things, my only real problem is that I still sound like a satnav!

I think I may have actually cracked the language barrier, even if I do end up with a headache.

Anyway the widows arrive at exactly the time I had arranged. We are now glad that we had to get them from the other shop as the quality is much better.

They are stacked in the garage and John installs the first one in the bathroom and then spends the next few days installing the upstairs windows.

Renovation project - French windowsRenovation project - French windows

Once installed he has the fun of sealing all of them and ensuring there is enough insulation.








The house is getting warmer by the day!

12 comments:

  1. It looks a lovely house and you will be nice and warm once those windows are in

    ReplyDelete
  2. Double glazing, heating, baths...you won't want for a thing xxx let me know if I can bring anything when we come at Easter as we've hired a transit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, that is so kind, we can't think of anything, but if we do we'll give you a shout :)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your progress in French. It really is good to know that you understand and can communicate back, isn't it? The windows look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it is such a fantastic feeling, I just really need to practice my accent!

      Delete
  4. Love the picture of John standing in the bath!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's an absolutely beautiful house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, I think it is my favourite house so far :)

      Delete
  6. It's looking really good, you'll be opening for business soon. Have you decided if it's B and B or gite?.
    I've given up trying to lose my accent, French with a Yorkshire accent not very elegant.😕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha ha northern accents aren't good in French, that is my problem :) we have decided we may just enjoy this house, just for us :)

      Delete