Friday 19 February 2016

Renovation project - Living in a hovel

Renovation project - Living in a hovel

As we have no fire in the living room, it is not a warm place to sit. Upstairs seems to be a lot warmer than downstairs. I say this in the loosest sense of the word.

We clean out the bedroom that we have already painted and move the suite upstairs, it really is quite cosy, and surprisingly warm!

We clean the house again, it is unbelievable how much time you spend cleaning, especially when there is so much work going on. But the dust is relentless and can make you feel dreadful.

This is one of the things the TV shows don't show you, how your days are spent constantly cleaning, in what feels like a relentless but pointless activity. No matter how much you clean, you are still living in a building site that will resemble a hovel for some time, no matter how house proud you may feel, you know when people visit they are looking around you and wondering how you can live in so much dirt, they have no idea that hours are spent everyday, getting the hovel to look this good!

Our little garden area is starting to resemble a tip, but we may as well wait until we have a good
amount before taking it away, as it is not really in the way.


But no matter how bad things are, John will not miss the football match!




4 comments:

  1. I know all about dust, we renovated an artisan cottage back in the 1970's the dust was terrible, I started to strip the walls in the front room and all the plaster fell off, Just got it re-plastered and a base coat of paint on when, OH decided to put shelves in an alcove. I wanted him to wait until I had put another coat of paint on, no, I could paint in between the shelves. I shoved off into the living room, words had already be said about said shelves. I heard the drill start, then stop, then star again, there was a loud bang and it went very quiet......in the front room OH was sat on the floor with a puzzled look on his face.......he had drilled through the cable which was part of the ring main to upstairs!!! the explosion knocked him backwards. I never let him loose with the drill again; I had told him several times that there was a cable in the wall, I had the wall chased out for the cable to go in and then plastered over I had used a pencil to mark small crosses where it was, stupid pratt thought that was where I wanted the shelf support put, in those days cables were put in walls with no casing on, hence him going through the cable. I was furious.......had to get the electrician and plasterers back......

    10 years later I ditched the idiot and got a new model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what a great story, thanks for sharing. Love the fact that he never asked you about the crosses, would've saved a nasty shock ;)

      Delete
  2. I've read your whole blog from start to finish this week - have really enjoyed it! You made such a great job of the B&B - am looking forward to seeing how this new project develops. (Although I'm a bit sad that I have to wait for each new post now, rather than having a big back story to read!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and thank you, hopefully this project will be just as good, I will have to make sure I write regularly so you don't have to wait long ;)

      Delete